Belly Laughs Forum Index Belly Laughs
A forum to discuss all Belly Laughs related stuff

Belly Laughs 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Writing Nook Comments thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Belly Laughs Forum Index -> Mrak's Writing Nook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: The Writing Nook Comments thread Reply with quote

Okay, so I've been mulling this over for a few days while uploading Revenge All Around when I can and what I've been thinking is that perhaps I should lock the story threads.

I know that may seem rather odd, but my reasoning is that then it would be very easy for people to find any chapter they wanted, whereas on the old board you had to kind of jump around between the 11-12 pages, which was a little annoying. Hopefully this will also make it easier for new-comers to read through what are now quite long stories.

Instead of posting on the individual threads I was thinking of creating this, a universal comments thread for all my works (when they eventually make the migration). I'd also post the usual splurge that used to appear at the top of my Chapters here to let those interested get a glimpse of the thought process etc. without it breaking up the flow of the story.

What do you all think?
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just managed to post the newest chapter of Revenge All Around, thank you everyone for your patience while I sorted out the new board. The chapter was actually very difficult to write, and it's extremely short. The current arc I'm on worked well in my head but much worse on paper and in the end I decided that I was best posting the little I had that was worthwhile rather than spending another week trying to make the rest readable. There's a lot of background and set-up and explication, I've tried to not make it too clunky but parts of it definitely are, and I don't like how many new characters I've introduced but unfortunately they're necessary. Hopefully the last large paragraph goes some way to making it worth the wait, I hope enjoy you it.

Last edited by Mrak on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
CurvesRBetter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Mrak. A thread like this was desperately needed on the other forums. However, to narrow things down a bit, maybe you should create a comments thread for each story, because things might get a little confusing with just one thread for all stories.
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I debated a thread for each story, and if it seems like it's needed I'll make them, but given the usual length of time between my updates it occurs to me that one thread should be enough, and one thread would definitely keep the board a little less cluttered.
snr6424

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the last chapter of Revenge. I'm curious to see what's going to develop with this extended family dynamic over the holiday. Also, can't wait to see what happens when she sees Casey again. Will Casey finally be awakened out of her oblivion? Will Sarah's unrelenting attraction to Casey be her undoing? Looking forward to what's next. Smile
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, hopefully the sudden influx of so many new people wasn't a complete turn-off. Reading through it reminded me of the opening pages of Anna Karenina, dozens of Russian names, all main characters, appearing one after the other in rapid succession until you don't know what's going on.

Last edited by Mrak on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
greinskyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am loving the opportunity to reread "The Power of Fantasy"

The building plot with Zoe's family and the little side-stories provide a nice mix of anticipation and a "quick fix" for some fun WG.

Thanks for putting in all your effort. It is much appreciated.

Grein
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I must say re-posting them has been very useful for me, the amount of errors/poor writing/abysmal grammar I've found is frightening, particularly in the earlier chapters of both my stories. Though losing the old board was a tragedy it's rather nice to have an opportunity to fix all these problems, very satisfying.
greinskyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the little touches regarding different possible "magical consequences" with Anne and Fiona in their little sub-story of The Power of Fantasy. He could have let chaos ensue by leaving Fiona in the predicament of sudedenly appearing so much heavier, with clothes that no longer fit, and having to deal with the harsh judgements of others. (Which, I must say had it's own enticing images) That Fiona had a part in her fate in this matter really added to the scene. She was furious, but knew that lashing out would have some heavy-duty consequences. Bravo!

The author Nomdreserv used to have some wonderfully thought out scenes on the subject as well. Sometimes characters are magically changed with no "Glamour" used to camouflage what has happened. Leading to the chaos mentioned. Other times glamour is used to hide the changes.

My personal favorite is when unforseen consequences happen. Like whole histories becoming rewritten. The person tries to lose the weight, but falls victim to a "lifetime" of other habits that sabotage the weight loss. No longer do they have the willpower, or habit of exercising... perhaps their metabolism is permanently altered.

OK, I'm rambling now. I just wanted to say how I re-enjoyed your sub-story within the masterpiece.

Grein
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks grein, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I suspect we'll touch on that subject again at some point in the future, maybe with Anne and Fiona (though I don't think they'll ever have quite such a long arc ever again for the author's sanity).

I remember Nomdreserv's works, Weight and See comes to mind in particular as a predominantly WG-themed piece that I rather enjoyed.

On a separate note Think Carefully was uploaded about 10 minutes ago marking the end of the transfer. The next chapter I post will be completely new!
Heyson1313

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying the new installation to Think Carefully. I'm assuming it's new at least. I don't remember it from the other forum. Buuut I see some more trouble coming for Alex because this is another malicious wish. Your ideas are positively brilliant, Mrak.
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it isn't new, it's reasonably old but I'm glad you like it. I've found it a little difficult to get back into as of late, too busy, but I've got the start of the next chapter drafted and I know where I want it to go for a while. Hoepfully be able to get some real work done on it soon.
pootiet12345

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the genie story, it bugs me that the girl is so damned stupid and consumed with hate
but its still a damn good story
Mrak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you mean but the truth is you have to be stupid to make a wish in the first place. As for hate-filled, guilty as charged.
greinskyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to decide whether Isabelle, Alex, or Sam has the most intruiging curse. It's hard because all are so elegant. By a slim margin, I'd have to go with Isabelle... if anything because she is the most likely to exercise vigorously. I can only imagine how that hard body will begin to look and move as she feverishly tries to work off those extra calories! I can see her now, with less and less confidence in that slinky work-out gear. Or having to suck her softening tummy in whenever someone comes around. WOW... You really have my mind working overtime with this story.

Of course there is something to be said for that nagging feeling of hunger. How frustrating it will be for Alex. "How can I be hungry? I just ate!" LOL

Thanks for reposting.

Grein
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Belly Laughs Forum Index -> Mrak's Writing Nook All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: